Wednesday, May 03, 2006

How Fucked is That?

So, I'm on Staten Island. The libraries are okay, but the video collection is nothing like Elmhurst, Queens. We have like two rows of DVD's here in Richmondtown, a branch they spent gazillions to make.
Making my way through the assortment, it is weird because there will be like 2 each of "Chuck and Buck" and like 2 each of that horrid John Waters movie with Melanie Griffith out of like, 100 films total. Anyway, there was this movie with a couple of guys running together on a beach on the cover and it boasted an adline of "...once their secret was told.." I was thinking cool, a G&L Film Festival straight (ha) to DVD movie. No stars ( except if you include Hume Cronin) but it could be cool. The movie is called, "A separate Peace".
I watched the movie and it was pretty good and then I found out from reading the box cover that it happened to have been a well received book and one that young boys read (when they use to read). The movie starred this guy Toby Moore who looked exactly like Hillary Swank it was uncanny. I mean, any casting agent would flip if they got to meet this guy, he could nab a great gig like miles did on 'Fraser' after DHP's agent sent a picture to Kelsey Grammers' people. And this kid Tobey Moore's character was, it seemed to me, going to make a pass @ any one of the main characters any second if you counted on my Gaydar (which is usually very acute) but I'm sure the director wanted it that way. Well the secret that the box proclaimed turned out to be that one of the guys jumped on a tree branch which forced the Swanker Doppleganger to fall and end his 'sports career' but their friendship remained. Whatever.
The same night, dying from boredom and frustration I rewatched 'Sideways' which I had only seen once before when I had consumed a bottle of Skyy Vodka that I found in the garage on a shelf at my friend's house while I was having a cigarette and she and her lover were getting it on. How does one have a bottle of Skyy sitting on a shelf with the extension cords. I don't know. Suffice to say, I did not remember ONE scene while I was rewatching it.
So, the resolution of the movie is happening. Giamatti's character is back at his teaching position and the class is reading a book. The book they are reading from is, "A Separate Peace."

No comments: