Monday, June 18, 2007

The ONLY way to see Indie flicks in Florida

So, I'm here in Florida, doing my duty as the heir to a lesbian couple's baby daddy. One of which is my best friend. I've been bored out of my skull, I'm reading books at a rate of 1 every 2 days. Discount movie theaters are all over the place but they are all playing the same 4 films, those of which I am not into.

How fortunate was I to stumble upon the Public Library of Boynton Beach; the parenthetical name being "Indie movie HAVEN."

As some of you may know, I had some "away time" from 'theatrical release time' in NYC for a while (yes, that's what I call it). So, I missed some great stuff.

Below please find 6 of the 10 (limit you can check out from the library) I viewed in the last three days and my Imploring wish that you view @ least the Top 3 (which are actually on the bottom of the list).

~6. The Great New Wonderful great cast (Maggie Gyllenhaal, Edie Falco, Jim Gaffigan)
I really enjoyed this a lot, but it just seemed to be missing
something, let me know if you checked it out because I
can not put my finger on it.

5. Kiss The Bride good cast of a lot of people who are talented that I have
never seen before. It was kind of predictable, but I
admire the chutzpah of the writer/director/actress/
producer and singer of this film.

*4. The Weatherman Another great (but too small of a roll for) Hope
Davis. I don't dislike Nic Cage, it's just that I've
only seen his non-blow this shit up movies, which
from his great performance in this, are too few.
I enjoyed this a lot.

*3. Quinceanera Absolutely Fantastic. The 3 main characters (Carlos,
Magdalena and Tio Tomas) were so great. I did not
scoff at minute portions that seemed a little contrived.
Please RENT this.

*2. Thumbsucker Absolutely Brilliant. A brilliant cast ( V.D'Onofrio, Keanu,
Tilda Swinton) and the best performance of anyone I've
seen in a long time (teen or otherwise): Lou Pucci. This
movie brought out every single emotion I contain, and
I thoroughly enjoyed them all emitting. YOU MUST SEE
THIS.

*1. The Motel What can I say. It's number one here, so any adjectives
that were written above can not super cede what I think of
this film. When I read the back and saw that it was 76 min-
utes, I had thought that maybe it was like, a 'short film',per
se.
About 5 minutes into it, I never wanted it to end, and I did
not want the clock on my cable box to distract me, knowing
the film was ending soon. All I can say is that if I had any
thing to do with making movies, I would put the actor who
plays Sam (Sung Kang) in everything I was involved in.
This is about adolescence, being ignored, being unapp-
reciated, being in love, being silent, being sad, having
bursts of euphoria and directness. This movie has def-
innately edged it's way into my all time Top 10. Please,
I implore you to rent it.

codes * cried ~ almost cried

No comments: