Sunday, February 13, 2005


I'm just mad about Saffron
Saffron's mad about me
I'm just mad about Saffron
She's just mad about me ...

"The Gates" are flapping away. Saturday's opening ceremony brought out all the Upper Crusty West Siders and their dogs (sans leashes) as the panels were unveiled. Bitter cold temperatures did not seem to keep anyone away. Today (Sunday) was an even better time to enjoy the full spectacle of this "subjective" project. With temps. in the 40's and the sun shining it was hard not to find this massive display awe inspiring. Yet, working at The Belvedere Tower in Central Park, I was privy to the bitter grumblings of some negative people.
Case in point: Female, 35-40, fashionably dressed. Complaining over the price of a cup of coffee {$1.50 (!) <---has she never been to a concert? A Sporting Event? A friggin food court? } She chatted me up some more- and when I told her I thought it was pretty cool how Museum Curator's around the world and folks of all walks of life were flocking to NY to make $7 an hour just to be a part of this event; she replied ever so bitterly while adding her 1/2 and 1/2: "Well, I don't know "how cool" it is, (yeah, she made air quotes) but they should have hired the homeless." I can't even begin to draw up up a point/counterpoint debate on this woman's statement. Some people will always remain ignorant and/or bitter regardless...Yet, they always want to be in on the "happening event" so as to spread their poisonous bile on anyone who will listen. It was a great two days (so far), and there are many happy people wondering around this amazing city. Posted by Hello

1 comment:

kristenL said...

I recently left NYC and I am really hating missing this exhibit. However, I am really not missing all the other "bullshit" that goes along with "it."