Sunday, November 26, 2006

Green

In the first season of "Project Runway" the designer's were told to create some that seethes envy. Since I was with the show at it's inception (thank you) before it became a phenomenom (thank you), i played this challenge in my head.
My biggest envy in this world would be towards brilliant writers. Sedaris, Franzen, Murakami et al.
When i came home from the Virgin Islands, I was eager. I met Yasmine on my third week and we bonded so bad it was against the law. She got me to read 'classics'. Then i turned her onto this book I picked up called "The Mysteries of Pittsburgh." It was a little press, actually i think they called themselves "The Little Press."
This is when screenplay writing became a second hobby to me.
I wanted to make this ito a movie. Cripes, it was my life.
I wrote to "Little Press" and inquired.
The rights were baught. This 1987-88.
The movie is now being filmed.

sidenote: Read "the Corrections" or "The Wind up Bird Chronicles"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mickey--

I, too, had a similar experience with trying to acquire the rights to THE MYSTERIES OF PITTSBURGH.

I'd love to share my story with you...

I also have a copy of the screenplay that was recently filmed. I can send you a copy if you'd like. Let me know...

I have to warn you: of the 124 pages only 15 resemble the novel.

I've also started a "boycott" group on myspace.com to voice my disappointment. Feel free to check it out:

http://groups.myspace.com/MOPfilm

bechstein[at]yahoo.com

PS--I'm also a 30-something writer living in New York City, fyi...